The aim of St. John’s Health Services is to provide necessary medical care to the deprived and the most vulnerable sections of the community of South Kerala. St. John’s Health Services was initially established to provide care for leprosy patients, but based on identified needs within the community it has since extended its services to those affected by HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Diabetes. The objectives of St. John’s Health Services are:
- To enhance the quality of life for people living with HIV/AIDS by preventative measures.
- To provide medical care, psycho-social support for people living with HIV/AIDS.
- To facilitate formation and strengthening of community-based organizations.
- To provide quality education for children infected or affected by HIV/AIDS.
- To eliminate leprosy and rehabilitate the affected families.
- To control and cure Tuberculosis.
- To provide mental health
- To provide qualitative medical care
One of the most challenging aspects surrounding the treatment, care and prevention of illnesses such as leprosy and HIV/AIDS is issues relating to community attitudes towards those suffering. St. John’s Health Services actively participates in community awareness opportunities in an effort to reduce stigma and discrimination in society, therefore enabling the infected and affected to live worthy of human dignity.
St. John’s Health Services also facilitates other activities like the formation and strengthening of weaker and disadvantaged sections of society like women, children, tribes, and dalits. With a dedicated team of medical and allied health professional and fieldworkers, we provide a holistic model of treatment that combines medical treatment and support, rehabilitation and psycho-social support.